end of life care.
What Services Does Hospice Provide?
Any eligible patient referred by a physician for hospice is entitled to the following services:
- Skilled nursing care in the patient’s home or nursing home facility with hospice contracts.
- Nursing services on call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week including holidays.
- Assistance with personal hygiene and skin care.
- Arrangements for durable medical equipment and physical therapy services in the patients home when medically indicated.
- Volunteers to help with direct patient care, errands, and to provide companionship.
- Social workers to help the patient and family deal with terminal diagnosis, treatment and family issues.
- Grief support for family members.
Who is Eligible for Hospice?
Whatcom Hospice provides end of life care to anyone with a prognosis of six months or less to live. Any adult, child or infant with advanced illness and limited life expectancy may be referred to Hospice by a physician.
Hospice patients no longer receive curative treatment, but instead receive expert care designed to alleviate pain, treat symptoms, maximize quality of life, and provide emotional support to the patient and family. With appropriate pain and symptom management, hospice patients are free to live their days to the fullest, surrounded by loved ones and doing things they enjoy.
Whatcom Hospice Services
Explore Hospice House
A look at our modern, comfortable, in-patient residential setting located in Bellingham.
The inspiring story of Molly, a hospice patient who was able to enjoy a higher quality of life thanks to the care provided by Whatcom Hospice and the support of the Whatcom Hospice Foundation.
Paying for Hospice Care
Most insurers, including Medicare, offer hospice benefits as part of their healthcare coverage. Medicare Hospice coverage includes the care of hospice clinicians throughout the illness, coverage of related medications, equipment, medical supplies, and access to respite care and bereavement support.
If a patient has no health insurance, or if health insurance does not cover all the costs of hospice care, Whatcom Hospice will help identify resources to ensure access to services. No patient is ever turned away because of inability to pay.
Advanced Care Planning
PeaceHealth is offering free Your Voice, Your Choice interactive workshops for members of our community. All participants will be guided through the simple, yet thought-provoking process of completing an Advanced Directive. Advance care planning is for all adults age 18 and older. Spread the word to your friends, family and neighbors!
These community workshops will take place on the first Thursday of every month. Space is limited and registration through PeaceHealth is required to attend.